Botox injections have been used to soften and eliminate wrinkles and facial creases for years. This procedure works by blocking the signals between the muscles and nerves to stop the face from contracting and creating wrinkles. Here are 5 insights into what Botox is and how it can help you.
- Where is Botox most commonly used? Crows feet, frown lines, smile lines, forehead lines, and lip lines are the most common wrinkles that Botox can eliminate. It is important to note that Botox does not fix wrinkles created by sun damage or gravity.
- A Botox procedure is quick: Botox is an out patient procedure and will take less time than your lunch break. Using a fine needle, Botox is inserted into specific muscles. You will experience slight discomfort but the results are almost immediate: you’ll see the full effect within three to seven days. Before your Botox procedure, you’ll have a consultation with your doctor where you will be asked to avoid anti-inflammatory medications, aspirin, and alcohol about one to two weeks before the treatment. Avoiding these substances before your Botox procedure will decrease bruising.
- How long will a Botox injection last? Botox injections will last up to four months. After that time, you’ll notice that muscle movement will slowly return, giving way to the wrinkles that Botox diminished. As you receive more injections, you’ll notice that the reappearing lines will become less obvious. This is simply because the muscles are being taught to relax.
- What side effects can I expect from Botox? Bruising is a common but temporary side effect. Headaches are unusual but can last up to 48 hours post procedure. Certain patients can experience drooping eyelids, but this will subside within three weeks. After the procedure, be mindful to not rub the injected area for 12 hours.
- Botox is not for everyone: If you are breastfeeding, pregnant or have a neurological disease, you should not have a Botox procedure. As mentioned, Botox will not work on all types of wrinkles so be sure to consult with your doctor first to see if you this procedure will suit your specific needs.
If you have more concerns or questions about Botox, call the Bay Area Laser Cosmetic Surgery Center today. You can reach us at the Pinhole Office at 510-724-8282, or the Larkspur Office at 415-461-5755. We look forward to assisting you!