Laser Hair Removal Basics
No more plucking, waxing, shaving, razor burn, ingrown hairs and pain. Sounds great, doesn’t it? Laser hair removal is one of the most popular services we offer – our patients love feeling smooth and hair-free. If you’re thinking about giving laser hair removal a try, here are a few things to know before you schedule your appointment:
- Your appointment will last about 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the area you are having treated.
- You’ll be asked to avoid shaving or waxing for about six weeks prior to your appointment. Laser hair removal targets the roots of body hair, so if you’ve recently waxed or plucked, those roots will be temporarily gone and the laser will have nothing to target.
- The laser will be calibrated specifically for your hair thickness, skin tone, and hair color. Next, a gel or topical numbing agent will be applied to protect your skin. You may experience some slight tingling, heat, or minor discomfort during the procedure, but overall the pain should be minimal, if any. You will be asked to wear eye protection to shield your eyes from the bright light of the laser.
- After your treatment, you may experience minor swelling and redness, but don’t worry, this is normal. You should be able to go about your regular daily activities immediately. If you need some pain relief, you can use over-the-counter pain relievers to minimize discomfort.
- The targeted hair should start to fall out a few days after the procedure. You may have to return for a few follow up sessions to get the most optimum results. You should plan on three to five sessions, scheduled four to six weeks apart. Avoid waxing, plucking, and excessive sun exposure between sessions.
- After you have completed the necessary sessions, the laser-treated hair will be permanently gone – you won’t have to shave, pluck, or wax again.
Men as well as women are taking advantage of laser hair removal!
Now is the perfect time to schedule a consultation appointment with Dr. Bertolino: (716) 633-6100.