Men and plastic surgery
Over the last five years or so there’s been a whopping increase in the number of people undergoing cosmetic plastic surgery. If your mind immediately goes to women, you’d be missing an important member of that statistic: Men.
In fact, according to statistics from the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), the number of men having cosmetic procedures has increased well over 100% in the last 15 years. The ASAPS also reports that the most common cosmetic procedures for men are
- Eyelid lift
- Gynescomastia (removal of excess breast tissue)
- Ear lobe reduction
Why do men want plastic surgery?
There are lots of reasons for anyone, man or woman, to choose to have a cosmetic procedure. But for men specifically, the numbers tell us it’s primarily for one reason:
- To help career success — looking fit and youthful in order to stay competitive on the job
The four types of men typically seeking cosmetic surgery
- The male model – this type of patient is usually looking to improve on what they’ve already got and could seek jawline augmentation, cheekbone enhancement and liposuction
- The body builder – this group has similar characteristics to the male model group in the desire to improve their appearance. They usually seek procedures that enhance physique and to appear more muscular, such as chest, calf and gluteal implants and breast reduction
- The career man – this group is typically seeking procedures that can enhance job security and mobility. They typically seek neck lifts, eyelifts, jawline recontouring and/or liposuction
- The fit dad – you may have already heard of the “mommy makeover,” and there’s also a group of cosmetic plastic surgery procedures that as a group have been dubbed the “daddy do-over.” This 40-something group typically goes for jawline recontouring, liposuction and eyelifts.
Men may seek cosmetic plastic surgery procedures for any reason
A man doesn’t have to fit into a particular category in order to seek the benefits that cosmetic procedures can provide. Call today for a consultation appointment:
In Pinole (East Bay): (510) 724-8282
In Larkspur (North Bay): (415) 461-5755